Tuesday, October 16, 2007

bad habits

i am not a family bed person. it's just not for me. i want and need my space at night.

unfortunately though we have let thing 3 get into some bad habits. first of all she doesn't even want to go to bed at night so we have let her stay up with us for a while. when we do put her to bed she just keeps coming out and i guess we have just gotten lazy with her. then when we do finally put her to bed she comes and crawls in with us about half way through the night. and again-we have gotten lazy and let her stay!

with her in the bed, no one gets a good nights sleep. we fight over blankets-she kicks them off and i want them pulled up to my chin. she snuggles close so if i want to roll over i have to slide her over first and often times she sleeps sideways.

now with a baby on the way, who is going to have me up nights anyway, we need to get thing 3's sleeping habits straightened out.

we never had an issue like this with thing 1. he has always slept in his own bed.

thing 2 did come into our bed for a while. he was about 3 years old and so we would talk to him about it and ask why he liked to sleep in our bed. he told us it was comfortable. then finally, we started asking him what was comfortable about it-the bed, the blankets? he told us the blankets. now, we sleep in heaven under a down comforter. if you have one you know that it is the greatest thing in the world. we can't sleep well under anything else either. so, when he said the blankets were comfortable we decided to buy him his own down comforter-it was worth a shot! we haven't seen him since!

now what's thing 3's trick!?-probably just us being consistent. we'll see but that is one of our messes we are trying to clean up before the baby gets here.

9 comments:

Traci said...

Oh I sure hope you are able to get her to her own room before the baby comes. Have you talked with her about it? Habits are hard to break some times. Good Luck! My tykes have been fairly easy, that they never really slept with us, except for when they were babies.

laina kay said...

i'm with you... you know we're dealing with the same thing with cha-cha. at least the getting her to bed part.

the other night i tried the supernanny thing and sat up there for a half hour and just kept putting her back in bed. it did work. now i just have to convince the husband to take his turn at doing that. hopefully we won't have to do it much longer!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Family bed! Ha...I call it the husbands bed. I'm lucky if I get 6 inches to sleep on. He insists he has to stretch out...and get this, he cannot be touched while sleeping!

ANYWAY...we did do the family bed thing for a while when The Snack was born, and the husband was more generous with his space then, but now I can't even imagine it! When Snack does join us (which he has been doing lately at 6am when our early riser noisy neighbor gets up)I end up practically on the floor! Snack likes to sleep sideways too, or draped over my head! So...hmmm...let me know if you come up with that solution for winning your bed back...and if you have any tips on getting the husband to share better!

crystal said...

Oh, I so feel your pain. I did a post about this too, a while back. I NEED UN-INTERRUPTED SLEEP! Let's figure it out together, b/c so far I've come up with no good answers.

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you on the night time bad habits. I think you're so right about being consistent. It's sooooo hard at 3:00a.m. in the morning! At one point this past summer both our 3&5 year olds were sneaking into our bed. Arms and legs were everywhere. We set a 5 day goal for the 5 year old with a small prize at the end of the 5 days. Guess where she was on night 6? Yep, back in our bed. Luckily we've worked it out. We just have one to go. GOOD LUCK! Hang in there.

Michelle said...

I 100% hear where you are coming from. We did that same mistake with our 2nd child. Then I was prego's with our third and things needed to change. We tried EVERYTHING. Finally we ended up locking the door to his room, we turned the handle around so the lock was on our side. It did the trick. Good luck and hope you find what works for you! Also, We did that with our first because we had issues with him roaming the house in the middle of the night and opening doors and setting off the alarm.

Michelle said...

I forgot to ask how you are doing??

Megan said...

I am the same way. I don't allow kids in my bed unless there is a thunderstorm. My oldest child always came into our room. I just set up a sleeping bag next to our bed and he would just sleep there. It solved the problem.

Jake said...

I also allow the kids to sleep on the floor or sofa in our room...but not in our bed. Unless they sneak in while I'm in deep REM sleep! I have to say, I remember sleeping in my parents' bed (very rarely)...but it was the most safe, secure feeling in the whole world!