Wednesday, March 4, 2009

my boys

tonight my boys got to arguing with each other.

"that's my seat"
"that's my plate"
"that's my cup"
ya know, the important things.
i'd had it
"if you want to fight, go to your room and fight"
so
as my boys stomped up the stairs i heard the one say to the other

"that means i get to go upstairs and beat you up"
so now they took their verbal fight upstairs and made it physical.
great!
they don't really hurt each other-yet.
just some pushing and shoving and wrestling-a little bit of hitting, but no punching yet-thank goodness.
one day i said goodbye and sent them out to the bus stop. everything was pleasant-that morning.
i got busy with some things and then glanced out the window to find
my boys
in the road-the side of the road
one, on top of the other
fighting!
oh my goodness-who are these boys!


i don't encourage fighting
i don't "allow" fighting
but

2 boys
close in age
sharing
friends,
space
and
things-
i guess it happens.

sometimes it makes me think of my mother in law
she raised 4 boys
4 rough and tumble boys
i can picture her glancing out the window to find them rolling around on the ground beating each other up.

did she?
i don't know.
but it makes me feel better to think she did.
to imagine how she may have handled it.
plus, then i get to write it off as the dad's blood pumping through them -even though i know that thing 1 is mostly all me-but don't tell the dad-it's more fun to blame him.


my boys are friends now,
but one day
they will really be friends
they'll appreciate each other
they'll be roommates
they'll go on double dates
they'll get together with their families
their kids will be friends
their wives will be best friends

one day!

6 comments:

Alissa Nicolau said...

This was a very sweet post about your boys and their relationship. I admire how sweet and kind both your boys are. You and your man have done a great job!

Michelle said...

LOL, good to see my boys aren't the only ones. We have had that fight in our house: "My seat, my plate, mine, mine, mine" Enough to drive you crazy. At least there is hope at the end of the day. It is nice to know that deep down they do love each other. One day they will be the best of friends and I hope their wives will be best friends too.

Oh and YES, I'm going to the Stadium of Fire!!

One more thing, I started a new blog. It's a conservative political blog. You can check it out if you want. www.APatriotAmongyou.blogspot.com

Alyson | New England Living said...

This post made me laugh and I know just how you feel! It's not just boys either. My second (boy) and my third (girl) are starting to fight quite a bit. Maybe not full on beating up, but it definitely can get physical.

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I love to visit fellow east coast blogs. Are you a mormon too? That picture definitely looks like a baptism outfit and that wall looks straight out of an LDS chapel.

Wendy Christensen said...

:) Very happy blog -love the photos and colors!! Cheers to the thing 1, thing 2, thing 3 and so forth!!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

LOL! Won't it be so fun to see them grow up and get married etc. wowsers it's gonna happen before we know it! :)

JoAnna Anderson said...

I really appreciate your post on your boys' fighting....I know we are headed down that road. I'm feeling pretty lucky so far that it mostly just verbal. I don't know what I would (yet) if I saw my kids rolling in the street fighting. What did you end up doing?!? You know I am turning to you for all your "boy" advice! Give me warnings okay!!