Tuesday, March 3, 2009

i'm hungry!


i recently finished reading
COLD SASSY TREE
and my stomach is still rumbling!
i want
coconut cake
and
pound cake
and
pie
and fried chicken...
the book is set in the late 1800's early 1900's in the south.
i guess it's that southern hospitality.
everyone in the book seems to always have a cake or pie ready to share with a neighbor-
when they are trying to get close enough to catch the latest gossip,
or to serve when visitors drop by
or to comfort others when tragedy strikes.
i want a cake sitting on my counter to share (and to eat myself-of course).
a part of me wishes we still lived like this-
but
then i remember that i like
flushing toilets
and
quiet cars
and
shoes on my children's feet.

1 comment:

Alissa Nicolau said...

I read this book years and years ago but remember enjoying it very much. My Dad's side of the family has southern roots and it makes for some exciting times with plenty of yummy things to eat. Like my Grandma's fried chicken, it's finger lickin' good!