Monday, September 24, 2007

staying on task!

this is the chart i use with my boys every morning. we started using it several years ago after a family home evening lesson on family responsibilities. this chart has been very helpful. when they get distracted(which happens often) i just ask them what is left for them to do on their chart and they know what they need to do. the whole thing is laminated (love my laminator!) and each tag is attached with a piece of velcro and on the reverse side is a happy face sticker, so as they finish each task they flip it over. they started using it probably around the age of 2 or 3 and were able to follow along. in those days i was much more involved of course but it got them started doing it on their own. now they are responsible for everything including making their bed (it's not always beautiful but they are getting it down-i just go back and straighten it after they have left)


i guess it's time to get out the master and make thing 3 one of her own. as crazy as it is i'll catch her making her bed some mornings-better keep that going while she enjoys it! (she just pulls all of the blankets up flat on her little toddler bed, but the first day i found it like that i was very confused and even though she said she had done it i had to ask everyone else in the house if they had done it for her and then i still didn't believe she had done it until i caught her doing it one day!-children are so much smarter than we realize!)


do you have any little trick to keep your kids on task?

7 comments:

Lacie said...

Love it, Love it!

I have the K-Man (3.5 years) do his daily tasks too. BUT I think he would totally get a kick out of using the chart! Staying on task is hard around here too!

Thanks for sharing!
Did you make the original yourself?

Cecily R said...

My trick is that I stress out and act like a crazy woman in the morning. Maybe I need a laminator too so I can be organized (or at least have fun playing with it!)... At least I need a chart. Maybe that needs to be my project for the week.

Then again, maybe I can't get organized enough to make one! :)

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Oh my goodness!! Do I have to start chores already!? I can't believe The Snack is 2 and ready for chores! Now...what's the trick for getting the husband to do chores too?

laina kay said...

Love that story about Thing 3! I have got to get a working chore system going or I. am. going. to. lose. my. mind! Maybe I should try to incorporate some of your idea.

Sarah said...

Love it! We've struggled in the mornings this new school year now that all 3 kids are at the same school and we all need to be out the door by 7:40a.m. Really sad when our natural rythm would be around 9:00a.m. Always great to have an excuse to laminate!

Shaka said...

no i didn't make the original-it came with a family home evening lesson.

Anonymous said...

That is so great!! I have something similar but it's a monster (Chore Chomper). The boys like putting the bones in it's mouth.