Thursday, September 11, 2008

i'm feeling maybe, possibly, a little bit, maybe... violated.

our goodwill and salvation army stores don't take toys or stuffed animals. i heard that a little local thrift shop would. as i had a pile of toys and stuffed animals i wanted to get rid of i looked up the little local shop, loaded up my van and headed over. the shop, i knew, was not in the best part of town. it was in that part of town where you better know where you are going because you just don't belong! i don't worry much, so i went. i can be kind of like a teenager who think they are invincible.
i found the place quickly and pulled up to the donation door. as i lifted my hatch i felt the bees begin to swarm. one of those bees watched as i moved my lawn chairs-you know those nifty little chairs that fold up and slide neatly into a bag-out of the way. mine are trashed and on their way to the garbage as soon as this football season is over. they are in such bad condition i wouldn't even donate them. but that buzzing bee came in for the sting.

"are you getting rid of those? i'll take them!" -bee
"no, just moving them out of my way"-me

i went in with the first load and as i came back out another bee had approached in her vehicle. as she hung out the window eyeing my treasures, she asked "got any baby clothes?"-good question since i was driving a minivan and carting 2 kids with me. nope i had no baby clothes (i'm a hoard, i save all my baby clothes-the dad begs me to get rid of them but i can't.) but i had a carseat if she wanted it. no she didn't want the carseat her sister-who is the one having a baby-already had all that. so i continued on..."well, i have no clothes but are you sure you don't want the carseat?"-stupid me, i should have ended it the first time she said no but i had to ask again and now all of the sudden she wants the carseat...and the diaper bags. her sister is having a girl and low and behold one of the bags was pink!
so she wanted the seat and bags but i had to pull to a different part of the parking lot to give it to her!!! "are you sure? i can't just give it to you here!?" NO, we had to move. as i closed my hatch and climbed back into the drivers seat i kept thinking "don't let them take you to the 2nd location!"-oprah's safety guys #1 rule!
but, we were in a parking lot and she wanted my carseat-that's all! but, why did we have to move?!
as i climbed out to give her the carseat i thought "maybe she wants to rob me!"

i grabbed the carseat and brought it to her, trying to keep her as far away from my car as possible! i jumped back in and drove away quickly-back to my safe side of town!

last night, as i lay awake, the drama queen inside me went over and over the experience pointing out all of my mistakes and how stupid i was. the dad encouraged that drama queen by agreeing that i shouldn't have gone to a different part of the lot. the rational person in me knows that the lady would probably just get in trouble for taking the donations that were meant for the store so she just needed to take her business away from their donation door. but man! (drama queen speaking now!) i made some big mistakes and could have gotten myself into a lot of trouble!

3 comments:

Alissa Nicolau said...

Our Goodwill has a ton of toys and stuffed animals in it right now. Are you sure you really needed to cross into no mans land??? And did you possibly think about calling for back up?? Safety in numbers you know!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Scary. The other morning Snackie & I went out for a walk and on the way home a guy stopped and said "can I give you a ride back to your apartments?" I was like "huh?" I'd never seen him before...how could he know where we lived? Then I'm thinking he's a crazy stalker man or something. Creepy. Anyway, he actually seemed nice...too bad you can't trust anyone these days.

laina kay said...

Wow Shara. So odd. I would've been like, "You want my stuff, you take it on my terms. I'm not moving anywhere!" Glad everything worked out okay. Definitely take Alissa or someone next time!

Laurel- That's super creepy! When I was very pregnant with The Boy a 20-something average-seeming guy was staring at me in a Wendy's. He then followed me (both in cars) to CVS and got out of the car to tell me I looked great pregnant. Shivers! Needless to say, I watched my rearview mirror all the way home. People can be very strange!